Collection: Hannah Lowry Unit 8 Reflective Journal 17/18 LOW16487626

Tate Britain

Marguerite Hameau : Echoes

The 'Installation transforms the gallery into part-temple and part-laboratory, referencing ancient Egyptian mythology and contemporary scientific research to explore modern life.' I certainly felt like I was entering a sterile yet godly environment, the brightness and zest of the yellow for me seemed sterile yet comfortable, the sensory experience was something I've never experienced on that level. Every wall was the shade of bright yellow that almost made on lookers squint at it's intensity. Perhaps this could have been interpreted as the light we see before we die, it's explained that as your brain dies it triggers a reaction that makes you see a bright light. Echoes was 'conceived as a confrontation between life and death'. The links to fertility and life are strong in one of the sculptures that resembles a females reproductive system, this could be what it meant as all human life comes from a woman. 

The sensory experience it created for me was intense, the high ceilings gave the airy idea of a temple, I felt a strange sense of comfort being in the room however and found the exhibition appealing, there was a lot to interpret from it.